We’ve all been there. That one light that’s constantly flickering, the TV that won’t turn on, or the sudden loss of power in the middle of dinner. Electrical problems are frustrating and can be costly to repair. But with a bit of preventative maintenance from Mansfield Electricians, you can help avoid some of these common electrical problems. Keep reading to learn more!
Poor electric wiring
Wiring is often the cause of common electrical problems. Old electric wires are more likely to corrode and be a severe safety hazard. Have them checked regularly by an electrician. If you see signs of corrosion or feel hot, call Electrician Mansfield immediately to avoid potential fires!
Overloaded extension cords
Extension cords are convenient for powering things in places that sockets are few and far between. Still, it’s important not to overload them or place too many appliances into one outlet/extension cord combination. Doing so could result in fire hazards or even electric shorts, which will damage appliances beyond repair over time. Be sure to read product manuals, so you know exactly how much power each device you’re planning to use requires, and keep these numbers in mind before purchasing an extension cord. It’s often a better bet to install more electric sockets/outlets were possible than overload extension cords.
Using electric heaters indoors
Considering how cold it can get during winter, electric heaters may seem like the perfect solution. However, using such heating units inside your house or apartment (unless they’re designed for indoor use) is very dangerous as electric circuits may overheat, and insulation might be insufficient. This will result in fires known to cause many fatalities every year. Similarly, electric radiators should also not be used at home without consulting a qualified electrician first, as their installation quality is essential for safety measures.
In general, electric heaters should be installed outdoors to be used safely without posing a threat to people and residential properties. Also, electric circuits need special protection so that excess electric current is prevented from flowing through the wiring and heating insulation needs to be of appropriate thickness. However, proper installation of electric heaters alone may not always be enough as there are certain precautions that you must take to use these appliances safely:
- Never cover the electric heater with anything while it’s switched on.
- Ensure your electric heater has a ground fault interrupter (GFI) for additional safety
- Always use a power cord close to the floor to prevent tripping or to fall over it due to excessive electric currents.
- Placing electric heaters away from water and flammable objects such as curtains and furniture are recommended.
- To prevent electric shock, always unplug electric heaters when they are not used, especially before showering or doing laundry.
Not checking electric appliances before plugging them in
Before you plug an electric appliance, be it a fan or a heater, into the power supply, ensure that all parts are working well and that there’s no damage to any of them. Checking electric appliances is even more important if they’ve been used previously, as malfunctioning electric components may cause electric shocks.
Not being aware of electric leakage.
Electric leakage is a common electrical problem often overlooked due to its silent nature. Nevertheless, electric leakage can cause electric shock or fire, making it extremely dangerous. Having an electrician insulate exposed sockets and electric wires at home will significantly reduce your chance of electric leaks.
Plugging in appliances with wet hands
Wet hands increase the chances of electric shocks as there’s always some small amount of current flowing through our bodies even when we are not feeling anything. This is why you should always ensure that your hands are dried before plugging in any electric appliance for safety reasons. After doing so, you should also avoid letting water contact the electric machine for the same reason. Electricians should always wear electric-resistant gloves when doing wiring as a safety measure.
Not using fused switches and circuit breakers for sensitive electrical equipment such as your computer, Tv, or even air conditioning system.
Using fuses or circuit breakers on these devices ensures maximum safety of them from any damage due to electric shocks of overloading, which might compromise the equipment, and if the fuse blows, it will protect your electricity meter from breaking, thus preventing you from being billed for extra usage costs by